From Real Simple Magazine, April 2o10 Issue
This was a big hit with our family. I mean, what kid (or adult for that matter) doesn't love meatballs? You can also adjust the heat level by the level of salsa you pick. I went for a medium that ended up being too spicy for the kids. Luckily they were happy with the meatballs and avocado.
1 pound ground beef (I think ground chicken/turkey may work well too. And it'd be healthier/lighter)
2 scallions, chopped
1 cup tortilla chips, crushed plus more for serving
1/4 cup chopped cilantro, plus sprigs for serving
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
Kosher salt and black pepper
3 cups mild jarred salsa
1 avocado, cut into pieces
Heat broiler. In a bowl, combine the beef, scallions, tortilla chips, cilantro, cumin, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Shape into 1" balls (about 24) and place on a broilerproof baing sheet. Broil until beginning to brown 5-6 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a blender, puree the salsa with 1 cup water. Transfer to a large saucepan and add 2 cups water (I used a can of chicken broth instead) and bring to a boil. Add the meatballs, reduce heat and simmer until cooked through, 2-4 minutes.
Serve soup with the avocado, cilantro sprigs and tortilla chips. (I think it'd also be good with other typical taco condiments like sour cream and cheese. It was kind of a twist on tortilla soup - yum!)
No comments:
Post a Comment